Thursday, July 9, 2020

A New Year!

We started the new year with a quick girls trip to Arizona to celebrate my cousin Shelby's wedding and to introduce Aubrey and Maddie to their Great Grandma Gigi!

Day 1: January 2nd
Our flight out of Portland was at 6:00 a.m. so we left on New Years Day and spent the night at a hotel up there.  We were a little surprised by how small the room was, as it was suppose to be a 2 room suite, but apparently that meant one room with two full size beds and a sitting room with a pretty pathetic pull out bed.  Luckily everyone was really flexible and the babies all did pretty well.  Mom, Amy, Kendra, and Tommy had the room side and me and the twins had the sitting room area.  Anyway, we got there right at bed time, put the babies right to sleep, and then were out of there bright and early the next morning.  We were all pretty tired and Amy may have had a little run in with her rear end and the elevator which made us laugh pretty hard, but we made it to the airport in plenty of time, or so we thought.  Since we were tired Kendra offered to grab coffee so she stopped to do that but by the time we got to the gate the plane was already getting ready to board and we still had to check strollers.  Yikes!!!  So it got a little stressful as Amy and Mom boarded with one of the babies and tried to get seats while I waited for Kendra.  Anyway, there were some tears, not from me for once, but we made it, all got to sit together, and the babies did great!

Our first stop in Arizona was Einstein Bagels for Breakfast/Lunch and to see Kathy and Taylor and then we headed to Aunt Cindy's house where we were able to spend some time with Grandma Gigi  which was so good.  They day flew by quickly and by the end of it I was pretty beat and unfortunately Aubrey, who had been coughing just a little bit as we left, seemed to be getting worse.

Day 2: January 3rd
Grandma Gigi was back to visit with us Friday morning but by this point Aubrey's breathing seemed a little more labored and I was feeling like this was deja vu from the last time we stayed with Wayne and Cindy.  It was another quick trip just like this one and Brandon ended up in the urgent care with Hazel because she was so sick and Cooper slept through almost the entire trip because he was really sick too.  Anyway, so I asked my Uncle and he said she should definitely be seen and mentioned that the air quality in Phoenix was terrible because of all the fireworks on New Years and that because the airport is about the lowest point in the valley that may have made her worse.  Thankfully,
 Missy was working that morning and was able to get us an appointment at her office where they gave Aubrey a breathing treatment and told me it was likely RSV and that if her breathing didn't improve they might need to admit her into the hospital.  Luckily it improved enough for them to send us home but they wanted to see her back the next day!  This caused some serious panic on my end as I imagined being stuck in a hospital in Arizona while poor Brandon was at home with the other 5 kids.  When Cooper had RSV he was a little younger than the girls but it was terrible and we ended up in the hospital for 3 or 4 days if I remember right.

When we got finished at the doctors I napped the girls and then we went over to see my Aunt Kathy's new house before coming back to have dinner with Missy and Wayne and their families.  Missy checked Aubrey again and said she sounded okay but really didn't make me feel a lot better about our chances of getting home without a hospital stay.  I don't think I slept more than a few hours that night I was so worried.  I was up all through the night listening to her, sitting in a steamed bathroom with her, and giving her breathing treatments.  By the next morning she seemed to be a little bit better but by then Maddie was starting to cough so the stress level wasn't receding.

Sad sick babies :(
 Aubrey

Maddie

Day 3: January 4th
Today it was back to the doctors but I wasn't about to have them check Maddie because although I was worried I really wan't convinced it was RSV.  Honestly my kids all have reactive airways and so when they told me that Aubrey was WAY better I felt so relieved and figured that I know my kids pretty well and I'm fairly certain they have a cold and that the poor air quality just pushed them over the top.  So, I started giving Maddie breathing treatments too and figured that at this point I just needed to get these girls home.  By middle of the day Maddie wasn't seeming much worse and Aubrey was still doing a little better so I felt okay about taking them out to the wedding which I was thankful for as this was the reason we had made the trip.

Shelby's wedding was beautiful and it was so fun to laugh with my cousins and to see Dad's side of the family again.  We hardly ever get to see them and it is so wonderful to share memories and just spend time with people who loved him so much and who we share so many childhood memories with.  After the wedding it was off to bed and then up bright and early to catch our flight back to Portland.

Arizona trips seem to always be a whirlwind and always involve sick kiddos, but I'm still really really thankful for the time with family AND very thankful to be home safely.

While we were gone Brandon braved demoing and remodeling my moms kitchen with the help of my brothers and 5 of our kids, cuz you know they're always super helpful.

He didn't get this all done in a weekend but he made great progress, especially when you take into account that he had most of the kids.

Demo

Drywall


Cabinets

No comments:

Post a Comment