Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Day Hazel Got Locked in Our Room

We were headed out the door to a day at the splash pad with the cousins when this happened...
I'm upstairs getting kids dressed and teeth brushed when Hazel runs in my room and Evie closes the door behind her and then for some reason the door wont open again.  Our doors upstairs have really old handles and they've been getting stuck from time to time but nothing like this.  So, I call Brandon and he tells me to get the hammer and pound on the handle to break it and then it should release.   So I do that but now the handle is just hanging there and I still can't get the door open.  Luckily the ladder was already leaned against the house and the window was open so I climb up to find Miss Hazelnut on the elliptical not at all concerned about being locked in.  


I don't dare climb back down with Hazel so next I call Uncle Robert and tell him about my little emergency.  I have Hazel locked in our room and Evie locked on the other side and I can't be in both places so he heads right over and tries to get the door opened same way i did, but he can't do it either.


So, next we work on removing the entire handle and eventually do get it out successfully but still the bolt is stuck and we can't get it to retract so that we can escape.


Finally, after about an hour of Hazel stuck in our room we end up having the kids pass a nail and hammer under the door and I'm able to remove the bolt from hinges and we break out that way.  It was quite an eventful morning, and I'm glad I've seen Brandon remove doors dozens of times otherwise he just may have had to come home to rescue us.

No comments:

Post a Comment