Friday, May 8, 2020

Our First Week Home and Last Week at School

We got out of hospital just in time to participate in all of the end of the year festivities.  This first week at home was packed with celebrations and doctors appointments, but we made it and I was so thankful to be able to be a part of all these special events.

On Monday the babies had their first doctors appointment.  It wasn't with the doctor we will be seeing but was basically just a weight check and they're doing great.  Both girls are gaining.  Aubrey weighed 4lb 11oz and Maddie weighed 4lb 9oz.  They really are sooooo tiny!!!

Next up on Wednesday was Cooper's graduation party.  It was just down the street so I was able to go with him and leave the babies for the first time with Grammy.


Cooper got the Rockin' Reader Award

I took Evie with me to Cooper's party and unfortunately Daddy had to come and pick her up because she doesn't seem to be feeling 100 percent.



On Thursday Aubrey and Maddie had their first appointment with Dr. Stout.  I was pretty nervous about meeting her as I knew she'd realized we'd pulled some strings to get in and I was kinda embarrassed.  However, when she came in she was so much nicer than I could have ever imagined.  She introduced herself, hopped up on the counter, and asked right of the bat how we knew Amy's friend.  I quickly explained the story and that I was so sorry and understood if she didn't have room for us, but she was so sweet.  She assured me that she's always willing to take new patients as long as we understand that for some of our the last minute appointments she may not always be able to squeeze us in.  I left so happy!  She was so upbeat and friendly.  I think she is going to be just what I need with these babies, lots of encouragement with no extra stress.  She also noticed that Aubrey has a small hemangioma on her left side just above her rib cage.  It's a tiny red spot caused by blood vessels, not dangerous, and honestly so very welcomed as I can now tell my babies apart!!!  Funny the doctors never mentioned it and I never noticed it before today. Maybe it just showed up???  I think God knew I needed an easy way to tell these girls apart and now my doctor can to.  She says mo hemangioma Maddie.  Haha!!!  Whatever works!

The girls are both doing great and gaining just as they should be so  Dr. Stout said we could eliminate one bottle.  This makes me really happy because the way I see it the bottles and pumping are just one extra thing that we have to do.  Aubrey weighed 4lb 15oz, up 4oz from Monday and Maddie weighed 4lb 13oz, also up 4 oz from Monday.  Yay!!!  This was a very encouraging appointment for me.

This past week at home we've switched it up a little from the N.I.C.U.  I know that we need to get them tandem nursing if this is going to be manageable for us so right now they eat 8 times a day and we just switch back and forth between breast and bottle.  It is really hard to get them both eating well together because they are just so tiny and have so little head support.  This in addition to the fact that my babies tend to be slow growers left me worried going into this weight check, but I was really relieved to know that they are in fact eating well.  

Thursday evening Cooper graduated which really deserves it's own post but this is the story of our lives right now.  No one is getting the attention they deserve as these new little ones have totally taken over our lives.  I mean that in the best way possible.  The kids are so in love with them, as are we, but everything really is just kind of a blur right now.  Big things are happening like graduation and wrapping up the school year and getting ready for summer, but it all kinda feels a little fuzzy.  I'm sure its mainly a result of sleep deprivation, but I think it's also what we're coming to love and hate about having such a big family.  It's truly never about just one person and that's so good, but also hard sometimes.

Anyway, we had so much fun celebrating Cooper at his graduation.  He is such a smart and funny kid and he's grown a lot this year as a reader and a scholar.  It's been fun to watch him soak in so much knowledge.  More than probably any of our other kids he is a learner and a book lover and school has opened up a whole new world for him.  It has also been fun to see his personality coming out more and more as he's made friends and comes home with all his playground stories just like Sadie and Wyatt.  He really is so hilarious and mostly when he's not trying to be.  His teachers say he is quiet, smart, kind, and a good friend at school, but he also has a seriously quick wit which I don't think they get to see as much of.

Way to go Cooper!!!  We love you!!

Cooper's favorite thing about kindergarten was playing Star Wars with Andrew at recess.  He learned how to play Sharks and Minnows in P.E.  He liked Mrs. Lute and Mrs. Lytle and how they taught him how to sing, and he thinks they will be going swimming this summer.  When he grows up he would like to be a motorcycle racer and he hopes to play soccer and go swimming this summer.








We wrapped up the week Friday with Sadie and Wyatt's award assembly.  The babies stayed either with Daddy or Grammy for all of these events as I wasn't ready to have them out and about quite yet, but I sure was thankful to be able to be a part of these memories with each of them and to celebrate the milestone of another year of school completed.  

Sadie's Aware

Wyatt's Award

Summer here we come!!!  We are ready....I think...actually I'm not sure, but I guess we will see soon. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment